Do you ever have bees in your head? Do you ever feel like your thoughts keep spinning round and round – buzzing like bees – and it’s hard to stop the merry-go-round? Do your bees keep you awake at night?
This happens to me sometimes. Am I the only one who experiences this? I bet I’m not.
Ways of trying to calm the bees
Short of blasting the inside of my head with bee-killing spray, I try the following things - some of which are less successful than others:
- Think things through. This can cause me to go quiet and a bit withdrawn.
- Talk things over with Meyles. He’s a very good listener and understander – provided he doesn’t try to do the blokey thing of problem-solving on my behalf! (I need to find my own solutions strangely enough.)
- Get focused on eating well, sleeping and exercising regularly to help keep tiredness minimised.
- Hold on and wait for things to pass.
Some thoughts are unpleasant and when they cycle through my brain for long enough, I can have an equally unpleasant emotional reaction. At this point I become aware that my emotional response is not necessarily equivalent to whatever the heck the bees are buzzing about. I have to be really careful not to act on my emotional response, because when the bees clear and the mind stops spinning, the elements will align very differently.
A new skill
Allowing my thoughts to go over and over the same things will only wear a path ever deeper like wheel ruts being used over and over. So I try this:
- Acknowledge what my bees are buzzing around about
- Acknowledge my emotion and give myself permission to feel whatever I need to
- If there’s something pro-active I choose to do about the situation, decide if/how I will do it
- Remind myself that when it comes to my thoughts, they are like a radio that never stop playing. And although I can operate the ‘volume’ switch, I don’t have access to an ‘on/off’ switch
- Be careful not to act on unpleasant emotion, as it could lead to regret. Better to wait till the bees stop buzzing
- Give myself time to come to a point of acceptance, if I need to
- Become interested in something else – read a book, share a meal with friends
Got any good strategies for calming bees? What are they? Feel free to contribute and comment if you want.