Got any leftover 2-day old hot cross buns you don't know what to do with? Cream? Eggs? Check this out - a
Cardinal-Cyn-Made-Up-Post-Easter-Special. Ho yes! It's sort of a cross between French Toast, bread'n'butter pudding, and all things eggy and bready.
Amounts are sort of approximate, and can be very flexible.
Here I have broken up (no-longer)-hot cross buns in a baking pan;
Cooked off a bit of bacon;
(Incidentally, this is Weight Watchers bacon, so this is healthy! Yes it is!)
in the hot pan after the bacon has been cooked, add some chopped bananas and strawberries;
These don't need to cook for long - maybe 5 minutes
Get the bowl of cream and add 5 whipped eggs.
Also add a bit of maple syrup (about this much: glug, glug, glug)
If you can wait, let it sit for a few minutes. But we couldn't wait.
6-8 hot cross buns, broken up
1 cup cream
5 eggs, whipped
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 pkt Weight Watchers bacon
2-3 chopped bananas
1/2 punnet chopped strawberries
1. Put broken buns in baking pan
2. Fry bacon and chop
3. Fry bananas and strawberries for a few minutes
4. In separate bowl, combined cream, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup
5. Add bacon, bananas and strawberries to the buns
6. Pour creamy eggs mixture over the buns and roughly mix
7. Cover with clingwrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
8. Bake at 160 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown and firm