Friday 20 April 2012

book: it's so easy & other lies

I'm only up to chapter 8, but I am loving this book by Duff McKagan (a founding member of Guns N' Roses).


After the first page I commented to Meyles, 


"This guy is 

  • articulate, 
  • smart as hell; and 
  • emotionally intelligent. 
I'm really going to enjoy this book."


what's it about?
It's the story of Duff McKagan's rise to the pinnacle of fame and fortune, his struggles with alcoholism and drug addiction, his crash-and-burn, and his transformation.


recent release
First published in 2011. So very recent. Hot off the press, even.


quote (page 20)
"I let myself lose track of what I thought was meaningful in life even as Guns N' Roses began to become meaningful to others. Back then - on the few occasions that I thought about it at all - I could think of a million excuses for going off the rails. But in the end it seems to have hinged on a failure to grapple with a few basic definitions:
  • of what it meant to be successful,
  • of what it meant to be an adult,
  • of what it meant to be a man.

The way I liked to define myself diverged from the actions that actually defined me. And this disconnect proved a nearly fatal level of self-deception."


last bit
How's that for transparency? Not bad, eh? I am hooked and enjoying this guy's beautiful use of words to describe complex concepts.  


So, are there any Gun N Roses fans out there?  Anyone at all?













No comments:

Post a Comment