Tuesday 21 February 2012

my one-day juice-fast


I have never once, in my entire life, fasted for more than 5 minutes unless I’m about to have surgery. Remove my ability to poke food into my face and you’ll find me in a foetal position under the bed! This might shed some light on my current weight issues. Nah. Surely not.

Anyhoo, I decided to try a juice fast for 1 day. 1 day, people! One. Whole. Freakin'. Day. Would you believe.

Why? I don’t know. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn’t think too much about it because I would’ve talked myself out of it.

My favourite juice recipes:
I enjoyed the beautiful combos of different flavours of plant-based juice. I got the recipes from the www.jointhereboot.com website. I didn’t have everything the recipes said, so just adapted them to what I had available. They turned out great. Delicious, even! For example:
  • Juice of silverbeet, ginger, lemon, cucumber, apple
  • Juice of carrot, apple, ginger
  • Juice of tomatoes, red capsicum, spring onion, lime

Energy levels
Way up there, at first. I was full of energy and enthusiasm.  My mind felt sharp and clear.  Surprisingly I wasn’t feeling hungry either.  Also my belly felt flatter and I could feel a slight light-headedness threatening the edges of my brain. Until mid-afternoon. By then I began to run out of energy. I did feel hungry at tea time, but by then I wasn’t going to spoil my track record by eating, so stuck it out.  After tea I felt tired, hungry and slightly grumpy (ok, a lot). And a bit headachey. This may have to do with caffeine withdrawal, as well as lack of food.
 
Next Day
I woke up with a flatter belly, significant weight loss from the day before, and the headache from hell. I savoured my morning coffee and the headache began to ease. I ate half my breakfast (omelette) as I didn’t want to eat it all, surprisingly. The headache eased more, but not completely. My pants felt more comfortable when I slid them on.

Will I do it again?
Yes I think I would.  I may try a juice-fast for a day plus one meal at night. I think that would be a good thing to try. The health benefits are good, and the great nutritional hit from all that fresh stuff is great. But I juiced about a weeks’ worth of fresh stuff in half a day! 

Have you fasted, or done a juice-fast?  Tell us about it. How long for? And Why? What were the benefits or challenges?


No comments:

Post a Comment